Thursday, May 3, 2012

Oh the Differences

I am a month and ten days away from being back in America and I realized that I have not really talked about the differences between Spain and the U.S.A. I think that this is because I usually try to avoid comparing two completely different cultures to each other, but I think today is a good day to write a blog about it.
I will start with the differences in the classroom. In the states if you talk in class while the teacher is talking there are usually consequences and it is not accepted, here in Spain however you are shushed but then you go on with your conversation, which I think is very rude.  Also, class almost never starts on time here in Spain, which goes with their relaxed culture but is a very big difference. The professors will change the time or place of a class that you originally signed up for whereas in the states I have never had that happen. Usually your class is based on one big paper or presentation and then a test, no homework, nothing else. But, here you get two chances on your final exam, so if you don't pass the first time no worries, you will take it during the second try exam period and hopefully pass.
The differences in the home are the most interesting to me. Almost every Sunday everyone gets together with their family and they have a very large meal, this is possible because every single store is closed throughout the town. Grandparents have a very active role in the lives of their grandchildren and usually help the parents to watch the children while they work. Other little differences are that most people do not have dryers so clothes are hung to dry, most people live in apartments or flats, and most of the floors are wooden.
The food, oh the food! I personally love the food here, I know others who have visited and who are studying here who do not agree though. I love the color that I have on every plate that my host mom makes for me. She also makes me eat a ton of fruit which I really have grown to love. Just in general I feel as if they eat healthier, there isn't a McDonald's every couple of blocks, actually you have to quite a ways to get it if you want in my town. Everyone walks as well so the amount of overweight people is much less than I am used to seeing in the states.
Another thing that I really appreciate and love about Spain is that they take pride in their country. There are fountains and statues and flowers and everything like this all over the place and I feel like that shows that they are proud and want to show off their abilities and make their country more beautiful. The architecture as well is just so beautiful.
As with every culture there are differences from what we are used to, some of them we like, some of them we do not. With every culture though we appreciate a little bit more of our own and learn a little bit more and appreciate a little bit more as well of the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment